Monday, August 12, 2013

Teacher Week 13 Linky:: All about me


 This week we will be kicking off Teacher Week '13 over at Blog Hoppin.  The great thing is you can be a
 part of this too!  Every day this week there will be a teacher topic.  Today is "Meet the Teacher" and I'm linking up with 10 things about myself.  Boy was this hard given that I'm doing this with teachers far more interesting than I am!  Nevertheless, I S-T-R-E-T-C-H-E-D and came up with these!



#1  I'll start with my wonderful family!  My husband and I are both teachers and our daughter Olivia started 1st grade this year!  My husband is from Montana so fishing is what he grew up with.  Now my daughter LOVES it since she caught her first fish!  Yes, that fish is still alive because we just like to fish for fun here in southern Arizona:)

#2  It's hard to believe my husband and I will be celebrating our 10th anniversary in a few months!  It has been an adventure for sure but well worth it!


#3  We have 3 pets in our household.  Our dog Chloe turned 13 this year, our cat PJ is now 8, and we have had the hamster, Nikki, for about 4 months.  We rescued our cat from some bushes in the middle of nowhere when he was only about 4 weeks old.  He weighed only 12 oz!!  He is such a sweet little guy!!


#4  I'm including a shout out for my wonderful grandmother, Kathy, because she's the inspiration behind a few hobbies I have.  My grandmother is in her 80's and still enjoys her wood carving!  She has taken a break this past year due to a hip surgery, but her carvings are still well loved in the art community!  Her last major piece was a meditation booth which is shown below.  It took so much detail to re-size her drawings to fit 14 large panels!  AMAZING!!


#5  This brings me to the table and chairs I found.  They were antiques from an old resort that someone just left at the home we bought 3 years ago.  They were in bad shape.  Since I'm a few miles from the Mexico border, I wanted to try to give them a southwest look.  I painted and reupholstered the chair.  With the helpful advice from my dad who has been a general contractor for 40 years, I tiled the table to match the chairs.  It was a lot of work but also a fun learning experience!

#6  Since the table and chairs, I decided to try something a little less physically challenging.  I love to draw!  And since I teach first graders, I loved the idea to create clip art graphics for my classroom!  So, I bought Adobe Illustrator and a Bamboo tablet and set to work.  It took me 6 months just to learn the program!  It is so much easier and faster to draw with paper and pencil!  But, it was well worth it!  I make scrap booking stuff for my family pictures and memories now.  This makes it all so much more personal.  I did add a few of the graphic sets I finished to my TpT store if they interest you:)
Big thanks to The Honey Bunch for putting my graphics on my new blog design!

#7  Something I haven't shared about my husband and I is that we did a documentary about wild horses who were being slaughtered and shipped out of the country.  It was illegal in the US at the time but a few slaughter houses were still running and claiming they were old horses needing to be put down.  That wasn't entirely and our documentary helped close 2 of the 3 slaughter houses here in the US.  We entered the documentary into some film festivals and 15 accepted our entry!  Santa Fe Film Festival was one of them. While we were there, someone from Cowboy's and Indian's magazine interviewed and took our picture.  I didn't even know we were in the magazine until 6 months later when our aunt sent it to us!  Since we have a daughter now, our documentary interests are put to the side.  We now make DVD's of our life story instead!

#8  My Neurologist put me on a Gluten free diet last year and I HATED it!  I had no idea that pretty much EVERYTHING has gluten!  Soy sauce, bread, dressings, and seasonings are just a few.  I had to read ingredients on everything just to find out if it was gluten free or not.  I finally just went with those labeled "gluten free".  Bread was the hardest to find.  Most tasted like dirt!  I FINALLY found one brand at Trader Joe's that I really like!  The brand is Udi and now many more grocery stores carry it.
I found THE BEST gluten free brownie bites the other day!  I keep them readily available in my classroom!! LOL


#9  When we bought our home a few years ago, we had no idea we had almond trees!  They never produced any until last year.  June and July are when they are ready and my daughter loves to help pick and eat them.  They do take forever to peel but they taste great!!

#10  And finally, I became a night owl over the summer and discovered the funniest show!  Anyone watch Hollywood Game Night?  If not, it is one worth staying up for!

Now it's your turn!  Tell us about yourself and link up this week at Blog Hoppin!  



2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Hollywood Game Night is the best new show out there! So funny! It makes my week!

    ThePolishedTeacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to "meet" you, Stacy! I also teach first, have a hubby who is a teacher, and have a daughter going into first (and one going into middle school - eep!). I admire anyone with artistic talent! :)

    Lindsey at Forever First Grade

    ReplyDelete