Monday, April 23, 2012

Science in Motion

It has been a crazy last few weeks for me!  Last week had big time illness, not just for myself, but for my first graders as well.  In fact, last week I averaged 9-10 students daily out of 26!  Wowsers!  Talk about A Great Classroom Plague!  All seems back to normal this week though!  I have most of my students back so far!

Since a lot has been happening besides the Great Plague, I wanted to share a bit of it with you.  We are learning about Simple Machines this week (levers, pulleys,etc.) and to make it more entertaining, I am throwing a few investigations in the mix.  My students LOVE science, especially experiments!

We started with "The Great Pulley Investigation".  How can the students get a heavy bucket to their buddies high up?  They tried 3 different ways and finally found the easiest - with a pulley!  Here are some pics!






We also learned about Inertia: When an object is in motion, it stays in motion until something makes it stop.
We made Zoomers to experiment with!


  There's still more we will be doing the rest of the week.  This is a great addition as the year slowly comes to an end!  It is really keeping my students engaged and focused!  I have uploaded this Mini Unit on my TpT store if you would like to download it for your students.  Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. We're learning about plants this week and your How Do Plants Grow? booklet was exactly what I needed...THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you from TBA! I am your newest follower:) Stop by and visit me...

    learnplayandhavefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete