Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Day 3 of our Valentine's Math and Literacy Fun

Oh how I love early release Wednesdays!  It has been such a busy week so far and I think my students need a break as much as I do.  We have been working on the Long Vowels ay and ai so the students were introduced to a new game for the Word Work Center.

How many of you have ever played Connect Four as a kid?  Well I stumbled on to this smaller version at the local Walmart this past weekend.  It was only $2.50!  We are working on Long Vowel: ai and ay so I made cards to go with this Connect 4 game plus a blank version to use with any words. Click Here to download and enjoy a copy for yourself !




How to Play Connect 4:
Each player takes a turn by picking a card to read.  If they can read the card, they get to take a turn putting their red or yellow chip in the connect 4 game.  If they can't read the card, they can't play their chip in the game and it's the next persons turn.


For those of you who use Reading Street, I just added Unit 1-5 vocabulary cards to my Teachers Pay Teachers store.  I am using those with this game and a few others in my word work center as well.  Just click the picture link below.

8 comments:

  1. How is this game played? I know how to play Connect 4, but don't understand how to incorporate the reading. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. How to Play Connect 4:
    Each player takes a turn by picking a card to read. If they can read the card, they get to take a turn putting their red or yellow chip in the connect 4 game. If they can't read the card, they can't play their chip in the game and it's the next persons turn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. That was my best guess but wanted to check.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problem:) Thank you for asking! Just in case others might have the same question, I added the directions on the original post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is perfect for my small group struggling readers to play on the "big day". Love the border! What program do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what game I am looking for in the xmas sales! Thanks for this idea. We use reading street too in my district.

    ReplyDelete