Friday, October 28, 2011

Pumpkins..check! Parent Conferences..check! Nap Time..check!

Holy Cow it has been a busy week!  I have no idea how I was able to fit it all in!  Pumpkin activities first and  I just finished with my last Parent-Teacher Conference!  I am talked out and ready for a nap!


We started the week with Spookley the Square Pumpkin.  The students have been learning about Characters, Setting, and Main Ideas of stories so I created a fun activity with Spookley to go along with their learning.  We made a class pumpkin patch and they wrote about the story on the leaves and glued everything together to make a pumpkin vine.







Next project was inspired by the book "How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin?"  I was at Barnes and Noble during Teacher appreciation week and found this book.  It was perfect for introducting the students to Place Value and a little pumpkin fun!!  They had already learned to count by 10's and 5's so this was really fun for them to count higher than 100!








I was just getting ready to type up an observation sheet when, lucky me, one popped up in my Google Reader!  Big thanks to Mrs. Bainbridge's Class for those Super Cute Pumpkin Observation booklets!




I started out by reading a little from the "How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin?" then had them make predictions on how many seeds might be inside their pumpkins.  We used 3 different sizes to see if there are more seeds in the biggest pumpkin.  We ended up with the smallest holding the most, 455!

We wanted to know if it will Sink or Float?


It Floats!


How many Ribs?


How many seeds? Slimy!!


Time to Count!  I had them use small Dixie cups to count the tens, then they exchanged 10 Dixie cups for a Styrofoam hundreds cup.



 
Our 1st Grade Character Pumpkins!!  They are soooo AWESOME!









We had a blast!!  Click the link below if you are interested in our Spookley activity and more! 



1 comment:

  1. I just found this activity & can't wait to use it with pumpkin seed counting this year. Great idea!! :)

    Kelly
    First Grade Fairytales

    ReplyDelete