Thursday, September 22, 2011

Bird Fun With Projects and Video!!!

I know I am not the only teacher to say how exhausted they are at the end of each week.  By week 12 things usually start settling down a bit but I am only halfway there!  I have to admit that even though I am in my 6th week, I see so much growth with my first grade group!  I can't wait to see the end result in May!  I know it will be record setting for me this year!
This week we entered into the world of habitats, hatching, and survival with birds!  Our school adopted the Reading Street program a few years ago and I really like the variety and challenges of the program.  We learned the short e and initial blends and the big question of the week was "Which animals can you find in your own neighborhood?"
We watched a video my husband put together on the baby birds that hatched in our backyard.  From there we made bird houses for the students to put up to observe the birds around their house and write about what they saw and learned.

Fly Catcher Bird Video







We enjoyed this project so much, we are continuing next week with a take home project:
Make Your Own Habitat!
I'll post it when it is finished!!
TGIF!!!!!!! (almost)

2 comments:

  1. I love the milk carton bird houses! We go through TONS of milk cartons at school, so I could definitely do this! Thanks for the idea. :)

    Marvelous Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to let you know that I gave you the Versatile Blogger Award! :)

    Kylie
    Down Under Teacher

    ReplyDelete