Monday, August 22, 2011

Meet the teacher Monday!!


Wow!!!  I hit 100 followers over the weekend!  Thanks to all for showing an interest in little old me!  I know I don't have an "about me" page and wanted to introduce myself a little.  This is my fourth year teaching First grade and I LOVE it dearly!  I taught fourth grade for 1 year before moving into the position I am in now!  I live in Rio Rico, AZ and for those of you who don't know where the heck that is, it is 50 miles south of Tucson and 10 miles from the AZ/Mexico border.  Our district has a high population of Spanish speakers.  75% of those starting Kindergarten do not speak English. In spite of this, the teachers do a tremendous job getting them ready for First grade!!  About 80% become proficient!

How I got Started
Teaching wasn't my first career.  I was a massage therapist in a Chiropractors office before the life of a teacher.  I was diagnosed with MS and decided I would pursue what I loved most!  Teaching!
I became pregnant during my student teaching with my beautiful daughter Olivia!  That didn't stop me though!  She is now in Pre School (right next to my classroom).  I love having her so close!

My Accomplishments

Last year I was Teacher of the Year at my school and a County Teacher of the Year Nominee.  I work with some AMAZING teachers so I feel there are so many others deserving of these awards!
I took my school on the Pepsi Challenge last year and entered into the Pepsi Refresh Project for a $250K technology grant.  We ended up in 42nd place nationally and even though we didn't win, it brought much needed awareness to the community about the needs of technology for our schools.  I had no lap top, no projector, an overhead with no light bulb, and 2 very old PCs that worked only part of the time.  I now have a laptop and projector, and there is more coming to us!

My First Grade Crew

I have to admit I will have my hands full with my 25 first graders this year.  They are a testy bunch but I love them just as well!  I will be focusing on Reader's Workshop this year and work one on one mostly with my struggling readers.  This is my favorite part of the day!  I love sitting on the floor with them and encouraging  them to be the star!

Well, now you know a little more about me and I would love to hear about you all as well!  I'd love for you to leave a comment with a link to your page telling all about you!  I would also like to invite you to link up with us on Blog Hoppin and share your story with hundreds of others as well!!  I hope you all enjoy your 2011-12 school year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment