Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Advice for New Teachers - Behavior!

Hey all!  We are in full swing with Teacher Week at Blog Hoppin.  I am inviting you to link up with us today!  Today's topic is "Advice for New Teachers".  I know the first year is VERY stressful: following objectives, working in a new environment, and having to manage a classroom full of students! 

I'd like to share a behavior management tool that another teacher shared with me.  It was created by Rick Morris and doesn't always focus on the "bad" behavior.  All the students start the day on green.  If they are making good choices they can move up into blue and purple.  If they are making poor choices they move down, but have the opportunity to move back up if they change their behavior. 




If they reach purple, they get a sticker on their behavior card that is taped on their desk.  If they get 10 stickers, they get to choose a reward from the "Treasure Chest".  The Treasure Chest is just a notebook with rewards such as extra time on computers or lunch with the teacher.  I use index cards with a tens frames as the behavior card.  This does take effort on your part as a teacher but in the end it is worth it!



5 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm a new follower thanks to the Blog Hopper blog hop! I just started using the same behavior chart by Rick Morris as well. I agree that it's a great way to promote positive behavior instead of just looking for the bad! I'd love it if you'd stop by my page and become a follower as well!

    Kristen
    First Grade Brigade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stacy,

    I read about Rick Morris' chart last year and thought I just might try it. I do use his card system for calling on children, etc. Do you have your students move their own clothespin? Is that a constant thing? I'm so curious!
    Dee
    First Impressions

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dee! I do have my students move their own pins. The students will move their clips before lunch to blue if they have made good choices, then they will move up to Purple towards the end of the day. This way I don't forget to give them credit! I give them a sticker right before they pack up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made some 10 squares to put on their desk. I only had two days with my kiddos and they are a behaviorally challenge group. Wish me luck!

    Little Priorities

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your treasure chest! I might have to make one!

    ReplyDelete